Can we please have entry forms for all animals, as soon as possible to help with our Ag Day planning.
If you are new to Ag Day, then a number of resources, information leaflets and entry forms can be picked up from our school reception.
Please refer to last week’s newsletter for further details, by clicking here.
Chicks to Chickens Category:
If you are wanting to raise a chicken for Ag Day, ‘Hyline’ chicks have been sourced from Eureka Poultry Farm and can be ordered through the school office. The chicks will be approximately 7 weeks old. Each child will need to buy a minimum of 2 chicks. The cost will be $48 ($24 per chick.).
The chicks can be picked up from the TCC (no farm pick-ups) on Friday 11th September 2:15pm-2:45pm. Please bring a suitable box for transporting. Small bags of chicken growth feed will be available to buy.($5.00 per bag)
Order forms are available at the office and must be returned by Wednesday 9th September (sorry no late orders).
Animal Demo and Judges Visit days:
- Tuesday 8th September (next week) for Calves, Lambs and Goats
- Tuesday 15th September for Chickens
Judges will be giving a demonstration with animals, outside the TCC from 12:20pm, over the lunchtime break on the above dates, giving advice on how to look after the animals and prepare for Ag Day. All children with animals should attend and parents are also welcome. Children should take their lunch with them.
Free Animal Health Check Day for lambs, goats and calves:
Saturday 12th September – from 9.00-10.00am in the TCC carpark.
Cambridge Vets are kindly offering A Free Animal Health Check – free vaccinations and tail docking for lambs, calves and goats.
Can we please ask that all 2019 trophies now be returned to the school office as soon as possible.
This day could not be achieved without our sponsors and parent helpers. If you have a local business who wishes to sponsor any prizes, or are available to help out our Ag Day committee in anyway please contact:
Frances McKenzie (021 206 9451) firstname.lastname@example.org
or Rachel Algar (020 422 6711) email@example.com
Tamahere School Vege Garden Competition:
Thanks to those children who have entered our new Vege Garden Competition! A reminder that entries for this closed this week, to allow for the judging timetable to be coordinated.
Further details to clarify the judging process as follows:
- Children are to develop their Vege Gardens at home (they are not intended to be brought to school).
- Our local Tamahere Garden Club has very kindly offered to support us with the judging of the gardens.
- There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each of the Junior, Middle and Senior school categories.
- Judges will visit the children who have entered, at the child’s home garden, during the first week of the school holidays, beginning on Monday 5th October through to Sunday 11th October. Organisers will be in contact with parents of children who have entered to schedule a judge visit time.
- Children will be required to talk to the judges about their garden, and show them their garden diary.
Since this is our first year, judging criteria will be kept fairly open, however judges will consider children’s:
- keenness/enthusiasm and knowledge
- the amount of work put in by the child
Children should understand basic principles such as planning the garden, preparing the soil, what they have planted, watering, pest and weed management.
Vege Garden Prizes, kindly sponsored by Amber Garden Centre will be awarded during the Ag Day prizegiving on Thursday 15th October.